I would never suggest that doing your Will is an ‘emergency’, however, there are literally dozens of reasons to get it done sooner rather than later. Your Will is critical to your estate plan. Whether you are rich or poor, single or married, here are 5 reasons that I consider motivators to Just Do It:
- Your Will is a legal document that directs who you want to receive your property and who you want to act as your Estate Trustee (also known as Executor). If you die without a Will (dying ‘intestate’), then the Succession Law Reform Act will determine the formula for distribution of your estate.
- Your Will expresses your wishes for who you want to be the guardian of your children. While your wishes are not final, they are highly influential on the Court’s final decision in appointing the guadian(s) of your children.
- Dying without a Will (‘intestate’) results in a much longer settlement process, possible higher costs, and may even cause litigation among your family members.
- Having a Will allows you to leave special heirlooms and gifts to specific beneficiaries. Without a Will, it is unlikely that these items will make it into the hands of the people want.
- Bottom line – your Will provides you, your family and your friends with peach of mind. By planning for the future now, you can stop worrying and start living.
Your Will is the foundation of your estate plan, so don’t wait any longer. Get in touch with us and let’s get started today!